I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!
It is still snowing here and COLD!!!!
Which is ok,
because I was busy this weekend finishing the starfish headboard!
This is how my daughters bed started out
This was my inspiration
A beautiful headboard made by Jane Coslick!
When I started this I really had no idea what I was doing so this tutorial isn't the best and I am sure that there are better ways to do this.
This is where I started
I laid out the planks that made up the headboard.
I drew a starfish pattern that I liked and then transfered the image onto the boards in the places that I were close to the inspiration board.
Once the design was transfered, I set up a little area in the kitchen (not the wisest place, but it was 10 degrees and snowing outside).
I used a jigsaw and cut as close to the lines as I could.
It took me a couple tries to be able to control the saw, but once I sort of got the hang of it, it was kind of fun!!
It is a good thing there were not any straight lines, not sure I would have been able to handle that!
After I got the starfish cut out I started framing up her old bed.
Again, I was winging this and praying that it would all work out in the end so bare with me.
I used the same size boards as the planks, 1x4's, and drilled them into the existing headboard.
Then it was a matter of just finding the center and attaching the planks.
I worked from the center out making sure that I was level and as even on each side as I could get.
I was a bit off on the sides, but it worked out ok.
I then attached boards on the end, a trim piece to even out the top and then a top itself.
It worked out nice because now she has a little shelf that she can put some things on.
I did the footboard the same way
except I had to box in the existing foot board, where as the headboard I left the back exposed...
too lazy! :)
So, there it is!!
It is not perfect by any means, but I am really happy with how it turned out
so is my daughter!!
Sorry about the pictures and the mess, but I wanted to show you the bed and her room is far from being finished.
Now, to paint it!!
I knew that my daughter still wanted the blues and greens and she was thinking bright and bold and I was thinking soft and muted..
I used a beautiful deep aqua
called Inlet Blue from Glidden.
I actually showed my face in Home Depot again, good thing no one recognized me!! :)
Glidden paint was on sale this weekend so I took advantage of it!
That is her bold color.
Her sheets and bedding are a much lighter shade of that I will add soft sea greens and
cool crisp whites.
I will show you all of that when I finish her room.
The bedding on there now is her current bedding.
The pink curtains will go and the little bit of blue that you can see in the bottom picture will be white.
I love the color that we picked out and I am thinking about using it for another piece of furniture but just not sure yet.
Anyway, there it is!!
I will have a bed skirt to cover up the bottom rail and hopefully some of the exposed bed posts that I couldn't quite cover up with the wood.
I am really happy with it and still amazed that I was able to pull it off!!
This week I will be painting her room, bringing down a desk from my craft room (hopefully), getting curtains and rearranging her furniture.
I also have some little projects lined up in my mind for her walls when time allows!!
Sorry, I know this is long but I wanted to let you know about the Be Mine Bonanza over at 'At Home With K'
It will begin January 30 and run until February 5.
It will feature 7 different bloggers with 7 fun and creative Valentines Day themed tutorials!
Gwen from Gwenny Penny
Heather from Summerstead
Michelle from Emerald Cove
Sarah from All Roads Lead Home
Suesan from Frou-FruGal
Tonya from More Prim Than Proper
Kindra from At Home with K
I will be also working on my project for that this week!
Have a wonderful start to the new week my friends!
I will be linking up to the parties in my "Linky Parties" tab