Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ode to White Paint

As I find my way through the blogging world and come across sites that share the same interests as I do such as the beach, decorating, summer, and my favorite.....white paint!!!! My husband thinks that I am crazy because anytime I buy an old piece of furniture or fix up hand-me-downs, I paint them white. So I have presented a few of my obsession-filled works!


This is a chest of drawers that was handed down to me from my grandparents. It was still in great shape but the wood stain was very dark.



This was given to me from my mom. They remodeled their kitchen and had no need for this hutch anymore so I took it and of course painted it white!



This window has special memories for me. It was a window from our old cottage. It was painted in dark green. Now it hangs in my bathroom and I just love the way it turned out!



I got this table at Lowe's unfinished.....so I finished it white!



My shelves that you saw earlier.



This was my mother-in-law's that she had stored in her basement. We needed a kitchen table so I was able to have this. It was a dark oak. I glued pine to the top of the table because I was unable to sand it enough for paint to stick. Sanded the rest of the table, painted it white and distressed it a little bit to give it that beachy feel!



When we moved into our house, all of the woodwork was that 1970's dark oak (not that there is anything wrong with that, but I wanted something a little brighter!) so I sanded and painted all our cupboards and trim white. It really brightened up the kitchen! Now to replace that nasty flouescent light above!



Another project that I did right away was painting the brown brick and brown mantel on our fireplace. It really gave the house that beach cottage feel. I love having a fire now because everything just glows and feels so cozy!



My biggest white-paint project that I tackled was last year. Our carpet became the spot for nasty pet smells and was just so dirty from two dogs and two cats that we ripped it up and painted the sub-flooring white. I had seen this before on a DIY show and thought, why the heck not. It was a big project and a mess!



Almost done!!



I came home one day and found this!!!!



Followed the trail............



I am so glad that he is comfortable!!!!!!
Luckily is was water-based paint and cleaned up pretty easy!



White paint is the greatest! I love the way everything feels and looks clean. Not sure what my next project is but I am sure that I will find something to drive my husband nuts!

Paint on DYIer's, Paint on!!!!!





5 comments:

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

You got some very nice furniture pieces handed down, and they look awesome in white! It does feel very seaside-y!! Love the white brick fireplace too! I did paint a floor as well, not the sub-flooring though, but existing wood floor in the bathroom. It looked worn out after a year, and had to be repainted, not ideal, but I like the look.

Low Tide High Style said...

You have done a great job transforming your furniture pieces with the magic of white paint! And how lucky to have some of them handed down to you! A friend of mine did the same thing, she painted her sub-floors and they looked great. She didn't have an artist kitty to help her though!

Kat :)

Farmgirl Paints said...

You did a great job. Everything you painted turned out awesome. I have a tendency to paint everything I come in contact with too...except it's generally NOT white;)

René said...

Oh no kitty, you didn't. LOL.

-Rene

Noble Vintage said...

Ok! I had to come over and see the banquette seating after your post!! :) It's so cute! do you have any other photos? I'd love to see more! Hope you got the paw prints cleaned up, he he! gotta love the fur babies.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails